Most of the font work I do is with FontLab, but lately I’ve been taking time to experiment with both Glyphs and FontForge. I have test fonts going for both, because there isn’t any better way of learning font design software than creating the letters from scratch (merely opening an existing font and fiddling with points doesn’t get you anywhere).
While at TypeCon 2013: Portl&, I took a workshop that allowed me to experiment with many different types of pens and nibs: brush pens, calligraphy nibs, spencerian nibs and sharpies. One of the calligraphy nibs was 3/4″ (19.05mm) wide. It was literally like drawing with a shovel. So fun!! I drew the whole alphabet with it, and decided to use those drawings as the basis for my Glyphs test font “shovel face.”
I don’t have all 26 lowercase letters digitized yet…this is just a side project (and oh, there are many…ha!). But the results are kind of fun, I think! Pardon my poor spacing. It’s all a work in progress…
Another spiral. I am actually not too fond of snails, as I think they’re gross and slimy (and I encountered way too many when I lived in England)…but how could I not try for the stab pattern? You could modify this and make the snail’s body longer, but I thought it looked odd, so I shortened the spine width down by an inch.
I’d rate this bind as very easy. There are segments that could be easily missed while sewing the bottom edge, but it’s very simple to add in the missing stitches later.
39 holes. 5″(12.7cm) wide, .25″(.64cm) thick. I forgot to write down how many times I wrapped the spine for the thread length (sorry!), but I think that it was around 8 times.
I’ve been on a spiral kick lately. I was going for cinnamon rolls with this design, but was informed that it looked more like sushi. Later I might try a vertical, ‘stacked’ version so the sushi pattern is more obvious when the book is displayed correctly. But here you go! Advanced beginner, just because of the number of holes. Very easy to sew.
58 holes, 6″(15.24cm) wide, .25″(.64cm) thick. I wrapped the spine about 9 times to get thread length.
A couple of years ago, I finally completed my thesis project for grad school. It started with a font I created. I really liked the design, and the meaning I had ascribed to it. But all I had time for were the lowercase letters – and being so new to type design, I had not the slightest idea how to create complementing capitals. Even months later I was still at a loss. But I knew that one day I hoped to finish the design and release it.
This is where I left the design two years ago, with a half-hearted attempt at some uppercase letters.
Since leaving grad school I’ve learned a good deal about designing type, especially text faces (vs display faces). I’ve learned how to harmonize a regular face with an italic face, and that capitals don’t have to mimic the lowercase exactly, as they began life as two entirely different alphabets anyway.
So with all that in mind, a couple of months ago inspiration struck and I spent a weekend re-sketching the Coalescence design, smoothing out the rough places and bringing a little more consistency.
Coalescence is far from finished…but I like the direction it’s going so much more now. And once the design for the capitals, numbers, and punctuation is decided, I intend to work on the two more complex versions of it as well.
So stick around for a completed version of Coalescence! Oh, and if you’re curious about my full thesis, you can find the published version here. If you want to pay basically $1 per page…
I’ve been meaning to post this for a while. I don’t think I ever posted an update to Amaliah regular…or even had a name for it in the first post. Part of the reason for my slacking is because I think font screenshots are boring and I couldn’t remember to take pictures of my printouts. Oops! Here is the work in progress. I’m still making changes to the italic, but the regular is static for now. The goal for this project was to design a legible text face, good for long documents. Creating a matching legit italic (and not just a slanted roman) is more difficult than one might think!
I made this for a friend’s birthday. Please pardon the poor lighting. I don’t have time to take a picture in the daylight. But good daylight is kind of hit or miss in England anyway… Seven colors of Sharpie marker, eight including the silver. On a brown paper envelope I cut apart! I like the contrast of the silver with the brown.