type@cooper…day 14

I’m now having to test my font in InDesign, to see how it works at different sizes. I’ve been killing a lot of trees, printing out test after test just like this. (Click on it to make it bigger)

Capitals! I might have a couple extra that the user could switch between…or I might not. We’ll see.

type@cooper…day 13

This is what my desk looks like these days. Covered in paper printouts and drawing utensils and other various bric a brac… kinda drives me crazy, but can’t do much about it!

I drew some capitals today, but didn’t get very far with them. Capitals for my goofy font are going to be eeenteresting for sure.

Here’s as far as I got with digitizing:


All lowercase of Paramithi is finished! Though some of the letters need work. I can’t print until Monday (it’s better to evaluate the letters on paper and not on screen), so this will have to do for now.

I was asked to thin out the letters to see what they would look like. In some ways I like it and in others I like the fatter version. But this one can be useful too, as it can be read at smaller sizes.

And now I’m off to the public library to work on drawings for capitals and numbers! Woo!

type@cooper…day 9

Today I drew uncial scripts for over four hours. Several styles, trying to get a feel for the letters and how they were created. From there I developed a lowercase alphabet. My goal was to create a font that could be used for children’s storybooks, or fairy tale books.

I’m pretty excited with how it’s going so far. Right now it makes me think of Sleeping Beauty, and I’ve had songs from the movie running through my head all afternoon. I named it Paramithi, which is Greek for fairy tale. (Fairy Tale in English was already taken by another rather lame font.)

type@cooper…day 7

Guest lecturer Ken Barber talked to us about lettering today…and this was our project for the rest of class. Graphite and pen smudges abounded!

There was a competition for a prize for the popular voted design…I got second place by one vote! Sad! Oh well…better luck next time… and congrats to Wendy!