adding leather: a first experiment

I recently managed to get my hands on around 8 lbs of shoe leather scraps. I have a couple of different ideas of what I might do with it. It was weird to sew. The scrap I chose to use for this book had some flaws, but it was soft and there was enough in the one piece for the spine and four corners. It was so thick that I wasn’t able to fold it over the edges of bookboard like a normal leather half-bind, so instead I glued it all to a thick piece of cardstock. I used PVA…..never again! It was everywhere! Next leather experiment will be with wheat paste. (as soon as I find some.)

The bind is loosely based on two of Keith A. Smith’s 2 section sewings… the inside (3 & 4) sections are sewn together, the middle inside (2 & 5) sections and then the outside.

Advertisements

One thought on “adding leather: a first experiment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s