I was told before leaving Cooper that my capitals were too formal when paired with the lowercase. Since the lowercase has the effect that I wanted, I am rethinking the caps. The R and K needed the most help anyway so I started with them. I’m also evaluating the thickness of the serifs on my lowercase as compared to the upper.
Previous R and K:
Current R and K:
Still needs work, but I think these are headed in a better direction.
Today is the last day! I fly out of NYC tomorrow. It’s been a great learning experience, and while I might be ‘finished’ here, I’ve still got a lot of work to do on my typefaces! I’ll still post my progress from time to time, because I know everyone is anxiously awaiting the design of my ampersand. And the back slash! Ha!
This is my current progress on the Paramithi font. My numbers and punctuation still need work, as do a few capitals. And one day I will have more alternate capitals!
Here’s what I’ve been frantically working on all weekend! I’ve still got edits to make, but it seems to be coming together. Right now I’m working on numbers and more punctuation. Woo!
…which is the reason I haven’t posted anything else today. We have a critique with him tomorrow and all of us have been frantically working to get stuff ready and put together! So tired!!
For those of you who have never heard of Matthew Carter
More edits! Still struggling with the uppercase… ‘N’ is going to be the death of me (or at least my sanity)…
I’m now having to test my font in InDesign, to see how it works at different sizes. I’ve been killing a lot of trees, printing out test after test just like this. (Click on it to make it bigger)
Capitals! I might have a couple extra that the user could switch between…or I might not. We’ll see.
This is what my desk looks like these days. Covered in paper printouts and drawing utensils and other various bric a brac… kinda drives me crazy, but can’t do much about it!
I drew some capitals today, but didn’t get very far with them. Capitals for my goofy font are going to be eeenteresting for sure.
Here’s as far as I got with digitizing:
For those of my readers who looking at old type and lettering and stuff…I’m uploading the pictures as I go to a flicker album here. Enjoy!
All lowercase of Paramithi is finished! Though some of the letters need work. I can’t print until Monday (it’s better to evaluate the letters on paper and not on screen), so this will have to do for now.
I was asked to thin out the letters to see what they would look like. In some ways I like it and in others I like the fatter version. But this one can be useful too, as it can be read at smaller sizes.
And now I’m off to the public library to work on drawings for capitals and numbers! Woo!